Compaq Placement Paper
Compaq Placement Paper
- Why paging is used ?
- Which is the best page replacement algo and Why ?
- What is software life cycle ?
- How much time is spent usually in each phases and why ?
- What is testing ?
- Which are the different types of testing ?
- Which are the different phases in Software life cycle (asked again)
- Why is analysis and testing phases very important ?
- Why networks are layered ? What is the advantage of that ?
- How many layers are there in OSI ? Why is it called OSI model ?
- network topologies ?
- Which are the different network toplogies ?
- an example of bus type network.
- What is the Bandwidth of ethernet ?
- Explain the advantage and disadvantage of ethernet ?
- Which is the protocol used in ethernet. (CSMA/CD) Why is it called so ?
- What is the advantage of Ring network ?
- Compare it with ethernet.
- What is inheritance, encapsulation etc.
- If there are too many page faults what is the problem?
- To ensure one pgm. doesnt corrupt other pgm. in a Multi-pgm. enviornment what you should do?
- Which one you will use to implement critical section? Binary Semaphore
- Which one is not needed for Multi-pgm. enviornment?
- options are: virtual memory, security, time sharing, none of the above.
- Which one is not done by Data link layer ? bit stuffing, LRC,CRC,parity check
- Which one is not related to Data link layer?
- Which one is not suitable for client-server application?
options are tcp/ip, message passing, rpc, none of theabove.
Term stickily bit is related to
a)kernel b)undeletable file c) d)none
Semaphore variable is different from ordinary variable by ?
unix system is
b)multi processing ,multiuser
c)multi processing ,multiuser,multitasking
x.25 protocol encapsulates the follwing layers
d)all of the above
e)none of the above
TCP/IP can work on
A node has the ip address 18.104.22.168 and 22.214.171.124.But it is transmitting data from node1 to node2only. The reason may be
a)a node cannot have more than one address
b)class A should have second octet different
c)classB ” ” ” ” ”
The OSI layer from bottom to top for an application which exceeds 64k the memory model should be
The condition required for dead lock in unix sustem is
set-user-id is related to (in unix)
bourne shell has
wrong statement about c++
b)encapsulation of data and code
c)program easy maintenance
d)program runs faster
which is true
a)bridge connects dissimiler LANand protocol insensitive
b)router ” ” ” ” ”
c)gateway ” ” ” ” ”
d)none of the above
const char *
char * const
- What is the differnce between the above tow?.
- In Unix inter process communication take place using?.
- About i-node numbers
- Max relaxable permisssion value with out giving write permission to others?.
- About ln(linking)
- Linking across directories?.
- process id for kernell process
- very first process created by kernell
- function to repaint a window immediately?.
- Function entry for DLL in win3.1
- win 3.1 is a
- win 3.1 supports which type of multi tasking?.
- Message displayed when a window is destroyed
- About fork()?
- About send message and post message
- Message to limit the size of window
- System call executable binary file intoa process
- About GDI object?.
- API used to hide window
- Initialize contents of a dialog?.
-C SKILL SET–
- How do you write a program which produces its own source code as its output?
- How can I find the day of the week given the date?
- Why doesn,t C have nested functions?
- What is the most efficient way to count the number of bits which are set in a value?
- How can I convert integers to binary or hexadecimal?
- How can I call a function, given its name as a string?
- How do I access command-line arguments?
- How can I return multiple values from a function?
- How can I invoke another program from within a C program?
- How can I access memory located at a certain address?
- How can I allocate arrays or structures bigger than 64K?
- How can I find out how much memory is available?
- How can I read a directory in a C program?
- How can I increase the allowable number of simultaneously open files?
- What,s wrong with the call “fopen(“c:\newdir\file.dat”, “r”)”?