Covansys Placement Paper 2
Total No. Of Questions : 100
Duration : 2 Hrs
The Procedure :
There are 5 sections, 20 questions each summing up to 100.The following are the split up of the sections:
2) Languages – any 2 from C/C++ , VB , Java , COBOL
3) Databases – any one from Oracle, Sybase, Sql Server2000 , DB2
4) OS – any one from Windows , Unix , IBM Mainframe
1) All the children were arranged in rows.all the rows containing equal no.of students. if 4 students were removed from each row 10 more rows had to be added.if 5 students were added in each row no.of rows were reduced by 8.find the no.of children.
The choices were like this
2) 2/3 of people read newspaper A , 3/4 read newspaper B.if 38 read both and 8 didn’t read any of the 2.how many read A?
3) There are 5 questions based on a murder story. the questions concentrate on the seating arrangements of people mentioned.
4) A plane goes from Chicago to Columbus and then comes back. It takes the same time to travel in either ways. It leaves Chicago early in the morning 0644 LOCAL TIME and reaches the destination Columbus at 0849 LOCAL TIME. In the same evening it leave Columbus at 1625 hrs LOCAL TIME and reaches the destination at 1638 LOCAL TIME. Find the time that the plane takes to travel either way?
Ans: 69 mins
5) There is a 14 digit credit card number in which every 3 consecutive digits add to 20. Here is a part of it. Find the value of ‘x’?
_ _ _ 9 _ _ _ x _ _ _ 7 _ _
Ans : 4
6) Ram gets 148 marks for 20 questions. +10 for correct. -3 for wrong. How many correct answers?
Ans : 16
7) Ganesh and Shankar travel abroad and take more luggage than the airlines allow. They have to pay extra money for it. They carry 52 kgs together and pay $60 and $100 respectively. Now, if the same luggage was carried by only Ganesh it would cost him $340. If the airlines charges only at one rate for extra luggage what is the maximum luggage that a person can carry without paying extra?
Ans : 18 kgs
Cool There are 6 consecutive numbers P, Q, R, S, T, U, not necessarily in that order.
Given that, Q is 2 less that P, P is 3 less that T and R is 2 less than S, arrange
them in an ascending order.
9) Number of digits with a 2 in them between 100 and 400?
Ans : 138
10) Bactria double every 3 mins. It is N in 1 hour, when was it N/4?
Ans : 54 minutes.
11) One day the Finance minister decides that the country should have only 33 paise and 56 paise.If there are two traders having enough change in the two denominations, what is the minimum amount for which they can transact?
12) Out of the following numbers which is the greatest number when 7 times that number is < 100
1) 12 2) 13 3) 15 4) 14
Ans : 14
13)There is 31 days in the month of January. If there is 4 Sundays and 4 Thursdays exactly.what day is the first day of the month?
ans: a) Monday.
14)there are 5 tyres including a spare tyre.total number of Kms to be covered is 10000 and each tyre should run equally.how may Kms does each tyre run?
1) how will u retrieve the value stored in pointer variable a
Ans : a
2) How to pass two arguments to a function prompted to by function pointer
a) g -> (1,2) b)*g(1,2) c)(*g)(1,2) d)g(1,2)
Ans: c) (*g)(1,2)
a)Aggregation of member objects
b)Aggregation of member functions
c)Used to incorporate data hiding
4) Float_ptr = new float
In order to deallocate this memory use
b)delete  float_ptr
c)delete float_ptr 
d)delete float_ptr 
5) i = 12
int *p = &I;
print (“%d %d”, p/p,*p**p)
c) O/p Error
6) What is Virtual member function?
7) Cin, Cout are
Cool cout << ( cout << “Hello” )<< “World”
a = 1;
b = 4;
swap(int a, int b)
temp = a;
a = b;
b = a;
i = 1;
a)4 0 0
b)0 4 1
c)1 4 1
The questions is similar to this but am sure of the answer it is
Ans: 4 0 0
10)difference between member function and a constructor?
Ans: constructor cannot return value.
Language : VB
1) How will u keep the exisiting values of a array when enlarging it
Ans : Using Redim Preserve
2) for i = 0 to 5
a = i
how would it get printed in the form?
Ans : 2
3) Resume used in conjunction with
a)On Error b)Error c)Error GOTO
4) Creating a new object using
a)New b) New, Create Object
c)New, Create Object, Set
d) New, CreateObject, Set Get Object
Ans: a) New
5) DIM x, y, z as Integer
Ans: X, Y variants, Z – Integer
6) Dim Counter;
For Counter = True to False
a)Error message b) True False c) –1 0 d) True
Ans: c) –1 0
7) Form load
textbox.text = “Hello”
on form load what all events will take place
a) Initialise b) Initialise, load c) Initialise, load, activate
d) Initialise, load, activate, validate
11)how do u unregister a COM from registry?
Ans) regsvr32 /u …..
1) Spooling is used with which hardware
2) what algorithm does unix and windows use to deal with deadlocks
ans: ostrich algorithm
3) what is the kernel file for windows NT
4) Multitasking OS a)95 b)98c)NTd)ME
5) Windows NT, NT stands for
Ans: New Technology
6) Thrashing occurs when
Ans: Guess when there’s a dirty page generated
7) WIN NT’s primary file system
a) FAT 8b) FAT 16c) NTFS d) FAT 32
Cool Move a file from windows temp to windows system
folder and delete data stored previously
a) COPY ERASE C:\WINDOWS\TEMP\.EXE
b) COPY DEL C:\WINDOWS\TEMP\.EXE
c) MOVE C:\WINDOWS\TEMP\.EXE C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\.EXE
d) MOVE C:\SYSTEM
9) Difference between virtual memory and swapping
a) virtual memory used to store a part of process in
memory whereas swapping can either put in entire
process memory or out
b) swapping used to store part of a process
d) Both are same
e) Both are different concepts used to resolve
10) What is multiprogramming?
11) Which of the following best defines a process?
12) What utility would you use to remove the entry in registry?
a) windows registry editor
b) Windows management utility
1) which of the following is a DML stmt
2) what is the output of the following query?
select round(trunc(mod(160,10),-1),2) from dual;
Ans : 0
3) when is index fields useful?
Ans:When u use it with with the where clause